Professional Teeth Whitening
Our smiles play a large role in our overall appearance, so it’s no surprise that in-office professional teeth whitening is one of the most common dental procedures in the world. Having your cosmetic dentist whiten your teeth will effectively remove surface stains and also improve discolored teeth.
uses a peroxide-based formula similar to the at-home teeth whitening kits, except the professional formula contains a higher concentration of bleach. Stained, dull teeth can be unattractive, so you may want to consider getting your teeth professionally whitened. Contact your cosmetic dentist to get more information and set up an appointment.
Causes of Stained Teeth
Although teeth whitening can remove the majority of surface stains and brighten your smile, it’s important to look at the underlying causes of faded or yellow teeth in order to prevent staining after receiving treatment. Here are some of the main causes of stained teeth:
- Aging: It’s natural for your teeth to fade as you grow older. As you age, your teeth may begin to take on a yellow, grey, or brown tint, leaving you feeling less confident about your smile.
- Tobacco Use: The chemicals in cigarettes and other tobacco products are not only harmful to your body, but are also extremely harmful to your teeth. This is why most smokers have yellow, unhealthy teeth.
- Staining Food and Drinks: Coffee, soda, wine, and various other drinks can be staining to the teeth. Certain foods like sweets and berries can also leave your teeth stained. Be sure to have these foods and drinks in moderation to prevent further staining.
Advantages of Professional Teeth Whitening
Between in-office and at-home teeth whitening, getting your teeth professionally whitened by your cosmetic dentist is the superior choice. Take a look at the many advantages of having your teeth professionally whitened.
- Faster Results: Chairside teeth whitening produces better results than over-the-counter teeth whitening systems in a shorter amount of time. With just one application, your teeth will be multiple shades brighter after being professionally whitened instead of after multiple uses of whitening strips.
- Less Sensitivity: With many whitening kits, the gels soak into the teeth and may cause sensitivity. But with professional teeth whitening, the formula is designed to help reduce sensitivity during application.
- Evenly Whitens: Most at-home kits are a one-size-fits-all treatment and can end up unevenly whitening your teeth. With a chairside whitening treatment, however, your cosmetic dentist will design whitening trays specifically for you to ensure your teeth are whitened evenly.
- Safe: Over-the-counter teeth whitening systems can irritate your gums, cheeks, and tongue and may erode enamel. Professional teeth whitening systems, on the other hand, protect your teeth from this potential damage because of its superior formula and application process.
To learn more about our Grand Rapids cosmetic dentists and professional teeth whitening, please contact us here or call us at 616.363.5677. Our dental professionals strive to be the very best at providing patients with optimal care while making them feel right at home here in Grand Rapids, MI.